View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Mantle was good, there is no doubt about that, but people that support him seem to narrow down the facts to make him seem like he is the top player of all time. He wasn't, he was the top AL player during his time.
Not sure where you got the idea that I was "supporting" him. I don't prefer one player over the other. I was merely pointing out statistical support that Mantle is in actuality a better player than some people want to give him credit for. Oh, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
There's no doubt Ruth was a spectacular player, and I still think he's the greatest player of all-time, especially when you consider how dominant he was as a pitcher, too. And he clearly revolutionized the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I already stated my opinion of Mantle being overvalued in cards in another thread so I am not going to state it all again, but I did want to point out that Willie Mays' Slugging was actually higher (barely but still higher):

Mays Slugging: .5575
Mantle Slugging: .5568
When OPS is adjusted for stadiums, Mantle has a sizable advantage.

OPS + for the stated period:

Mantle 172
Mays 156
Dick Allen 156
Hank Aaron 155
Frank Robinson 154
Stan Musial 151

Let me say again I think Dick Allen belongs in the Hall.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-09-2014 at 10:24 AM.