View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Here is another view of how prices may be affected by bidders. (I think this was discussed in a thread several years ago.) Let's say that I paid $5k for a certain card in a certain grade and the VCP average supports that price. Now I see a similar card on ebay and it is a few hours from closing and the price is $2k. So, I am thinking, I can't let this card go for $2k because that will bring the VCP average down and my card will be "worth" less, so I keep bidding it up to protect the value of my original card.
I understand what you're saying, but it's just hard to imagine someone doing that. Let's say when you paid $5K for that card, you were in a bidding war with one other bidder and it drive the price to $5K, but you won the card. Now another card of the same kind and grade is on eBay with a high bid of $2K. Well, this time there is no bidding war to drive the price up. I can't see you bidding on the card at that point, just to keep the VCP average up. What if you ended up winning the card for say $2200 because nobody outbid you? Now you have two cards, one you paid $5K for, the other you paid $2200 for, and it still lowers the VCP average to $3600.

I just can't see someone throwing up a bid on a card to keep the VCP price up knowing that they could possibly "win" the card.