View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
The values I received as a consignor for my items ranged from mediocre to awful.

I consigned a 1951 Bowman Red Menace complete set (Lot 1722) that I bought for $1300 in the 2010 REA auction, then spent about $300 in grading fees, only to see it go for $700, which means only $630 back to me after REA fees, so I lost almost $670 on this set.

I lost money on all of the other items I was consigning too, all purchased from past REA auctions, after accounting for the 10% consignment fees (a T205 Tris Speaker SGC 70, a 1954 Topps Ted Williams, a 1941 Goudy Sky Birds complete set).

Because my consignment auctions were going so poorly, I hardly bid on anything, as I was not feeling like I had any coin to spare.

Greg, I can relate to this a bit. I think there were tons of great deals to be had in this auction and I feel I picked up a few nice things myself. But on the flip side of this, if there are great deals to be had, that means that there are consigners disappointed in how things turned out. The 09 Obak set I consigned went for only 4k, which is a number I feel is almost unrealistically low. Winning some nice things at good prices definitely helps take the sting off but it did feel like I was restricted in my bidding too.

One question...you mentioned a 10% consignment fee? I thought REA offered a 0% across the board. Am I mistaken?