View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Eric Perry

Default 1933 Goudey #144 Babe Ruth

Good evening, everyone. I am looking to add a Babe Ruth card to my collection and have gravitated to the one mentioned in the title of this thread.

Before finding Net54, I had never collected Pre-War cards and still have a somewhat limited amount of experience with them. Since joining this site, I encountered many great collectors willing to help me along my journey, have learned quite a bit about T206 cards, and feel confident that I can finally purchase cards from that particular set without outside help.

With '33 Goudey, though, I have yet to handle any of these and do not know what to look for. As such, I will be sticking to graded examples from PSA, SGC, or BVG. Still, there are pitfalls involved with purchasing graded cards, especially those of Ruth.

I have recently become aware that there are two different versions of this double-printed card and would like to know how to tell them apart. Additionally, I would like to know what to look for regarding cracked-and-resealed holders, how to spot fakes, etc.

Please help. I want to make sure that my first four figure purchase is not filled with buyer's remorse...or, even worse, victim-of-fraud horror.

Signed,

A Pre-War newbie

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra