View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I posted my original reply while I was at work. Now that I am at home I have checked my archives. Without doing too much searching I came up with two photos dated the same day that give a pretty good idea of how early glossy photos were reproduced.

The first one is from Gilliams News Syndicate and has a dated caption sheet attached to the back of June 17, 1908. This is Bill Horr, 1908 Olympic medal winner and College Football Hall of Famer.

The second one has a George Grantham Bain backstamp and a date stamp of June 17, 1908. I also have an original studio print of the second one with no stamping that has a matte finish. Bain probably did not take the original as he scratched an id on his negative and the original has no such markings. This is Lloyd Jones, graduated from Penn in 1907 with a degree in engineering. 1908 Olympian.

I have other photos that are absolutely dateable to 1900 and 1903 that have a non-glossy/matte finish. Several others that may fall between 1903 and 1908 that are also non-glossy/matte. I hope this is what you are looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78571 bill horr.jpg (76.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg jones l.jpg (73.5 KB, 148 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 04-10-2014 at 10:39 PM.