View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Great bit of knowledge dropping, Michael B. I never knew about Walsh. I just googled him and found out he was an Olympic shooting instructor at the age of 92..without the aid of eyeglasses!
And also '1880nonsports'

I am glad I could share. I don't collect baseball or basketball anymore, but I do remember some very interesting signatures I got in person in the 1980's and early 1990's - Don Hood and Mike Fischlin, David Justice in the minor leagues come to mind. I also got lots of Hall of Famers in person - Killibrew, F & B. Robinson, E Murray, Lefty Gomez, Ted W, Joe D., Spahn, Musial, Rice, Yaz, Fisk, Joe Cronin, Mantle, Aaron, Reggie, J Morgan, Bench, Fingers etc. and almost all for free. I enjoy seeing the pickups on this site. Always fun to see those signatures. Since my collecting/selling is now Olympics and I have a large database of signature scans (3500 scans another 3000 or so to scan) I like to share with everyone here. I find that while you may love the collecting in one area, a true collector really appreciates other collections.

Jason - I am not sure if you noticed, but Walsh also enlisted in the Marines in WWII and rose to the rank of Lt-Col. After the war he commanded the Marine Sharpshooters unit. He must have been one tough SOB. He lives a stones throw from me in Arlington, VA. Would love to meet him, but don't see it happening.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”