View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Burns update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I think it might be worse Dan. As I look at that list, it seems that every player there could have two cards, not just the players where it's been confirmed. Each subject was playing in 1925, meaning every one could have a card saying "former __", team change or, if the guy had played for the same team the whole 6 years, just a font change.

There are 41 subjects? It looks like they used the exact same sheet for each printing, and just changed the captions and the fonts. It's strange no one here has confirmed the Roy Spencer card, but it seems doubtful they would have a sheet or strip configuration of 41, unless the 42nd space was used for some sort of header. Otherwise I suppose they never produced a Spencer card, and the right count is 40.

The Burns could have been a corrected error, as he did play for the Giants through 1921, and who knows, maybe there's a third Hornsby out there. Happy hunting!
The Burns (NY Giants) W590 shows him as a coach and thus should be 6b, not 7c, on the master list. I can also confirm the other variations listed as Standard Catalog only, with the exception, of course, of Roy Spencer, who probably does not exist. Presumably W590s were issued in strips of 10, like their cousins, W580 boxers, athletes, presidents and movie stars. Four of my W590s have numbers in the left margin (Burns-Clev. 10, Grimm 11, Kelly 12 and Young 15), likely the numbers of the strips.