Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 PM
Bob M

A favorite player I followed during the '60's was pitcher, Joel Horlen; likely most remembered for pitching a no-hitter in 1967 against the Detroit Tigers during the heated AL pennant race. Last year, artist Van Martin was commissioned to use his unique style and capture Joe on canvas. Joe was at the unveiling and for all of us there that day, we won't soon forget the experience of seeing the joy on his face.

IMO, the surviving golden age players of the 50's and 60's are living National treasures and I highly recommend showing appreciation to every one of them in any way possible. They were instrumental in paving the way for golden opportunities of today's big league players by coping with the reserve clause during their careers, enduring low salaries (relatively speaking), minimal benefits and they showed courage during arduous fighting for player rights alongside Marvin Miller. The entertainment and thrills those players gave us baby boomers during those years are certainly plentiful.
JoeandVanMeet.jpg
Joe Horlen and artist Van Martin above

Last edited by Bobmc; 04-01-2014 at 08:51 AM.