View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Hi Scott,

On a side note: your response to somebody else post about the effects a "slab" can have on a card does concern me... I had not thought about it... I used to run track - I started when I was 5 years old - back then you would get ribbons and medals for 1st - 6th place - The Medals would come in these little plastic cases with a piece of black foam to cushion the medal. I collected things even at that early of an age of which included coins - Well I had what I thought was a great Idea and used those little plastic cases to store my prized coins in - Over the years I would randomly admire them (still in the case) until flash forward 35 years - I decide to take the coins out so I could look at the other side - low & behold the coins are stuck to the foam and have actually had a chemical reaction (to most but not all) that has eaten away at the metal!!!! Here I thought I was such a smart kid and now the coins are ruined....
I don't think that was me. I'm not so concerned about the effects of the plastic on the cards, but they do smell plasticey when removed, and I would rather they smelled like old cardboard. Regarding coins - after a few years, I often see grayish spots on proof coins. That was partly the reason that I stopped collecting them - including those flimsy thin plastic enclosures the U.S. mint used. I still have all of them, so I can show some ugly proof scans if anyone is interested.

Also, I always seem to miss those facetious remarks - I can dish them out, but I can't understand them when others do it

Last edited by Runscott; 03-27-2014 at 12:58 PM.