View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I would just question somebody who wanted to add those signatures later to a single Ruth ball though. But then again, collectors will do all kinds of things to items that could stand as gems alone. I can understand adding a missing player to a team ball decades later. But adding to a single Ruth ball...that opens up a lot of questions to collectors who may have wanted to buy it.
I meant my question to include any signed ball, that may have included other players, also.

But your comment brings up an interesting point regarding the "value" of stuff.

I'm not really an autograph guy, although as a kid I used to get autographs at games, back in those days (1970s / early 1980s) I don't remember anybody getting single signed baseballs, at least not at the side of the field. If we got rookie sensation Freddie Lynn to sign a baseball, we were happy to then hand the same baseball to Rick Burleson, or even to Campy Campaneris or Joe Rudi.

I would much prefer to have a ball signed by Babe, Hank and Willie, than single signed balls from each of them. And if Bill Dickey or Carl Reynolds or some schmuck also signed it, that doesn't change the fact that Babe, Hank & Willie all held that ball in their hands, which to me is a very cool thing.

That probably puts me in the minority, at least with collectors who are concerned with the resale value, I know.