View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
UHG... I will address this in more detail tomorrow as I am traveling. I have no doubt you are one to learn the hard way. Nothing wrong with that.. I am too. The last statement is not good. Also, nobody on the planet(other than a seller/owner) would make the the statements in that description. It is not about doing this for a long time. It is about common sense. Period and definitively bn2z. It is misleading at the very very best.
Ben, I look forward to hearing you discuss this further. Discussions like this are interesting. The passion you regularly display for this segment of the hobby was one of the early factors that drew me to photo collecting. I had become bored with looking at cards and diatribes about grading companies and was looking for something new.

My friends and family have never understood the baseball collecting virus that has afflicted me all my life. I have numbed many of them with baseball cards. They always ask the same thing, "What's it worth?". When I show them an original potentially one of a kind photo of Willie Mays or Jackie Robinson they never ask that question. Such photos have a magical ability to capture your imagination and take you on a ride back in time. They also seem to elicit an emotional response from my friends that love baseball and indifference from my wife.

I have always enjoyed photography and already had an appreciation for art beat into me by a mother who drug me to every major art museum in Europe. She loved Michelangelo. Much to her dismay I was drawn to Goya and Bosch at an early age. She was convinced that I needed a psychiatrist. I know we aren't talking about high art here but the passion and opinions of aesthetic beauty are the same. Although my photo collection will never send any of my kids to college, I know what I like when I see it. Unfortunately I cannot afford much of what I like. I remain enamored by some photographs' ability to make me pause in appreciation. I like that there are so many beautiful and unique original images available to collectors of every budget. This Ruth may not be your Michelangelo but is my Goya. I am also painfully aware that I am forced by family obligations to be a fan and not a collector of such quality images. Nonetheless I doubt I have room on my Discover card to cover this Ruth or an old Goya painting.