Thread: My Hobby Mentor
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
So now we have a name to assign blame to for unleashing Sarno on us all it was freaking Wolt!! Jay is a top notch guy and one would have a hard time finding a better guy to show you the ropes.

For me I had a few guys and haunts that kept me in the hobby. The person who exposed me to vintage cards outside of a Beckett was Dan McKee Sr. I remember all to well the trips to the house in MD to get the few I needed from my want lists as a kid. I also remember the trips to the basement to look thru piles and piles of cards, sets and unique treasures from the past. He always took time to not only share but point out things to look for like fakes and altered things etc. if there is one person that I would say that helped sparked my passion for this hobby it was Mr. McKee.

Later on in life I added the Jr. McKee to my list of hobby pals and mentors he was too busy chasing skirts when I was around the house early on. I will say Dan has been a good friend but even he knows if the house is on fire and I can only make two trips.....I'm grabbing pops and the Washington Times set.

Now as I've progressed as a collector I can say that I still have hobby mentors and folks who have taught me things or have just added even more enjoyment to the hobby for me. Folks like Jay Miller, Jim Blumenthal, Henry Moses, Barry Sloate, Scott Hassell, Jerry Totino, Mike Sarno, Tony Andrea, Al Crisafulli, Rob Lifson, Johnny V, Leon and so many others.

Great thread Mike, and no the Knight isn't for sale this week....

Cheers,

John
John- ya got me...this thread was an elaborate scheme to finally get my Knight miscut back from you! (kidding)

Glad to see so many people respond, and share some insight into your hobby roots.

Lee, thanks for the mention, kinda cool to see Jay's lineage from him to me, to you...and i'm sure you've inspired other collectors as well.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 02-27-2014 at 11:13 PM.