Thread: My Hobby Mentor
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Although I probably started collecting around the same time as him, my card-collecting mentor would probaby be Mr. Phil Garry.

I imagine that 25 to 50% of my collection was once in his possession. I'm happy to know that a handful of the cards in his collection came from me at some point as well. Ironically, we've had at least a card or two change hands between us multiple times. There are a few that I'm sure he would love to get back from me.

Regardless, I am grateful for the hard work and research he put into the "rookie" checklist. Although he's migrated to Negro League memorabilia, he's still a "rookie" collector at heart.

Here's one that's changed hands a few times:

Derek. I'm right there with you. I don't know if I'd go as far as mentor, but Phil has had a very similar effect on my collection. I too own a few of his castoffs. To be honest, I'm also often inspired by your collection as well. Your imageevent page is great to just browse through, and often gives me more ideas for some non-typical hof rookie-type items.. I really need to get organized and set one up for myself... My disorganization, would often make those people on hoarders cringe

I take great pride when, on rare occasion, I luck into something you guys don't have.

Last edited by novakjr; 02-27-2014 at 10:07 AM.