Thread: My Hobby Mentor
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Thanks to Mark Macrae

I had contact early on with some legendary dealers...Lew Lipset and his Four Base Hits catalog...Larry Fritsch and his one-of-a-kind catalog, but the dealer that had the greatest influence on my catcher collection was Mark Macrae.

Initially, I focused on adding types for Roger Bresnahan, George Gibson, Red Kleinow, Johnny Kling, Chief Meyers, Gabby Street, and Ira Thomas.

Although acquiring "types" for the "magnificent seven" was a challenge, my passion for collecting catchers in the Pacific Coast League gave me a greater appreciation for the catchers in the 1909-1912 era.

Once I discovered the beauty of the Obak sets, as well as unigue designs of the 1911-1912 Zeenuts sets, and the Home Run Kisses cards, my collection of catchers rounded into a much more interesting collection.

I also learned a great deal more about the history of the game, and what an important roll the Pacific Coast League had in providing players for both the American and National Leagues.

So I would like to thank Mark Macrae for opening my eyes to the wonders of the Pacific Coast League players and sets.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911TIEDEMANNOBAK.jpg (30.0 KB, 643 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 02-26-2014 at 11:07 PM.