View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Don't know if any of you photo guys have ever run across this website:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...vmc;page=index

Back in the 80's I think, the Detroit News donated a ton (or two) of their negatives to the Walter Reuther Library at Wayne State University in Detroit. They have scanned a fraction of them for public viewing. There is an amazing collection of old sports photos you can browse or search for. Many of the photos are by William Keunzel (Detoit's Charles Conlin if you will) You can also download the image. My grandfather was actually a photographer with the Det. News and many of his photos are on the site as well - which is how I originally found the site.

Check out this non-iconic but historically significant shot of Lou Gehrig the day he sat down at Tiger Stadium (from the website):

Scott,
Who was your grandfather, if you don't mind me asking?

My namesake, Scotty MacGregor, was also a sports photographer for the Detroit News for many years.
Here is an early photo of Scotty MacGregor and boxing champ Jack Dempsey sitting on a porch in Detroit checking out Scotty's camera equipment. Scotty MacGregor was my grandfather's best friend growing up in Detroit.

BTW, I accessed the link that you posted, but I was unable to find the photos that you mentioned. Can you PM me with some hints on how to get to these?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scotty McGregor and Jack Dempsey 001.jpg (70.9 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-27-2014 at 04:33 AM.