Thread: Ruth vs Wagner
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Ruth vs. Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
For me at least, a minor league card doesn't mean it can't be desirable. Joe D is not in an MLB uniform on his Zeenuts, but I'll take the Zeenut Batting OR throwing DiMaggio all day over his cartoon Goudey.

I don't think it's the "public" that will decide the card's value and desirability if what is meant there is the general public. It is the bids from wealthy bidders which are at the root; record high sales from wealthy bidders will cause a card to break out and in turn become known and noticed by the greater public-- and I have to think the wealthy bidders in years and generations to come will prefer the first and rarer card of the better player.

Fun to ponder but perhaps this is worse than debating what's better, one Ivy League college or another, Ferrari vs Lambo, or one supermodel vs another. This is whatcha gotta call one high class problem!
Problem is Matt, with only 10 to choose from (with more than half tightly secured by their current owners), the 3 to 4 "possibly available BN Ruth's simply won't generate enough opportunities to arouse an interest level required to surpass the T206 Wagner legacy. Demand might be there, but supply extremely limited to a handful of subjects.