View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Brad Green

The guy in the back row, second from the left certainly resembles Grove. However, I couldn't convince myself that it was him. The uniform also threw me off. According to the book about Lefty Grove by Jim Kaplan, Lefty did occasionally play for other teams over the years besides the Martinsburg Mountaineers, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Athletics and Boston Red Sox. I can't remember, but maybe he played on these other teams before he joined the Athletics. What I wasn't sure about was whether or not he would have been provided a uniform when he played for these teams. They would probably have been weekend tournament teams, or something like that. Not a big commitment. So I thought perhaps somebody had convinced Grove, Carey, Hooper and Pennock to play on one of these teams. It all seemed far fetched, so I didn't bid a huge amount on the picture. It would have been interesting to have the picture and be able to do more research on it. But I don't have a lot of time right now to be doing research on pictures.