View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Mark Hooks

Welcome aboard Sebie. I started the set about the same time you did last year and it has been a blast. There has been some sound advice given to you from some great guys. Here is my 2 cents:

-Decide what condition you want and stick to it. I am working on 3/4 condition that is centered and crease free. It is easy to deviate but I have pretty much stuck to my guns. You will pass on a lot of cards but you will be happier when you finish.

-There are a thousand ways you can collect the set by team, player, back. portrait, action, etc....... I don't think there is one way better than the other. It just depends on your personality. Personally, I just focus on the cards I find that I don't have and matches what I am looking for in condition.

-Graded/Raw - I collect both. If I go graded I try and go with SGC just because I believe they grade more accurately and LOVE 1000 times better the way they look in the case vs PSA. PSA will probably sell for a little more of a premium than SGC but I am OK with that.

-HOF's vs commons - Depends on your budget. I know I sound like a broken record, but I focus on what is available for sale at the time in the condition I am looking for.

-Just have fun with it. Set goals each year. I wanted to have at least 50 cards after 1 year. I finished the year with 53. One of the things I do to have fun with collecting this set is I track my project here. I started a thread on the main page called "My Quest to Conquer the Monster". Every time I pick up cards, I will scan and post. Just a way for me to share my collection with other collectors (seeing that my three girls at home could really care less....LOL)

Good luck with your "quest" and keep us updated on your progress.

Mark