View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That looks great! Nice job polishing it. If your intent is to sell, you just made it a lot more marketable. Beautiful piece!

Regarding the Perez Bat...

No discernable number on knob. There is a hint of old marker, but too faint to even claim its a "24". The bat does measure the correct 35.5" in length. This bat was not well cared for, and probably spent the majority of its life outside/unprotected. It was very dry and weathered when received. I decided to apply a coat of lemon oil to liven it up. From what I've read, this is an acceptable practice, and it really helped bring the wood back to life.

Yes, the bat was worn. But I am nearly positive it's the hickory type. Perez placed an order for one batch of these Hickories in July of 1976. When you see it in person, it's easy to tell the difference between this wood and the far more typical ash model with flame burned finish.

There are other nice indications of game use. Lots of grain swelling from repeated ball contact. It is on the down- side of the barrel, as is correct for Perez gamers. He batted with the H&B trademark pointing away. Some nice ball marks and rack streaks as well. Not sure how it would grade without a discernable number on knob... But for a couple hundred bucks, am quite happy with the purchase. A high grade bicentennial model would easily exceed 4 figures, so (given my current financial state) this was a perfect solution.

Sorry to bore you all to death, but you inquired!