View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
My very first job ever was at Dominos when I was a junior in high school. I was too young to be a driver, but I did work inside and knew all the inner workings of the operation. My stories are just the opposite. If a delivery driver missed their 30 minute time window, they were held accountable. I disagree with Steve that the loss was just written off as advertising. This was a franchise store, not a comapny store and maybe that made a difference, but it defintely wasn't written off as advertising. Twenty seven years later, I still remain friends with one of the employees from that store who went on to open a few franchises of his own.
Interesting. It could be a franchise/corporate difference. I'm not sure which of those the one my friend worked for.

In about a year and a half he worked for three different chains, all within about a half mile of each other. Dominos, Pizza Hut, and I forget what the other one was. All of them had delivery guarantees, and all handled it the same way.
He moved between them because there was a driver shortage and every move added about .25 an hour to his pay. Not bad in the mid 80's.
Pizza hut to dominos to ? to pizza hut. Pizza hut also let him have leftover pizza at closing. There was usually at least one that got called in for pickup and the people never showed. Saturday nights we'd show up about a half hour after closing and get free Pizza.
I also got one of those massive double decker pizzas they did for a while for free by eating the whole thing. The local prep school would have new kids try as hazing and the manager had never seen it done. Which made him hate the whole thing. I had to promise I'd do all the cleanup in addition to paying if I couldn't do it.

Steve B