View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Kevin H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
The lack of the Astros name in Topps sets of the mid to late 60's was due to a trademark dispute between the Astros and Monsanto, owners of the Astroturf trademark. Once resolved, Topps was able to use the team name again.

I have details here: http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/20...hat-topps.html
I have serious doubts about the accuracy of this article (which actually refers to another article on the PSA website I believe). "Chemgrass" was the original name of the playing surface. It was renamed to "Astroturf" AFTER both the domed stadium AND the team were renamed (Harris County Domed Stadium to Astrodome in 1965, Colt .45s to Astros in 1965 as well). The Astroturf was installed in 1966 after Monsanto was approached by the Astros and Judge Roy Hofheinz. The name "Astroturf" wasn't even patented and trademarked until 1967, 2 years after the team changed the name.

Plus, since the Astros and the stadium were the first to use the artificial turf or "monofilament ribbon file product", I am sure a company like Monsanto would have been thrilled to have the Astros use part of the product name and vice versa. However, I seriously do not believe that was the case at all.

Last edited by Section115; 01-16-2014 at 03:49 PM.