View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM

To answer the quetion, "will we see guys who hit moonshots again?", I think part of the answer would have to come from who the guys in the past were hitting moonshots off of.

Was it a starting pitcher early in the game or was it later when he was tiring? Was it a pitcher throwing really hard fast balls or was it on a breaking pitch that hung?

I don't see a lot of MLB pitchers today who throw big breaking curve balls. Ones that if hung would sit there as if placed on a tee. I see more guys throwing sliders and cut fast balls.

I also see starting pitchers getting taken out of games in the sixth inning, way before they are too tired to lose velocity and keep leaving their pitches up in the zone.

I also see more guys coming in from the bull pen who throw 95+ MPH. Tough to square those pitches up and pull them.

As far as moonshots go, Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena, I think, both pulled balls that went over the right field seats and out of Great American Ball Park. Dunn's shot hit the concrete outside and bounced into the Ohio River.

Even though he was a horrible ball player, after Dunn did that, his fans gave THAT as a reason for keeping him on the team and paying him so much....

David