View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default My $.02...

I have never believed that football is America's pastime...it has always been, and always will be, baseball...and here is why. Baseball is played by guys who look (or used to look) just like we do or did. Most baseball players look like normal, run-of-the-mill people. They don't have the height of basketball players and they aren't the mountain of men that most football players are. We see these guys play a game that looks sooo damn simple and trick ourselves in to thinking we could do it, too...if only we had stuck with it. You don't have to be fast, or strong, or smart to play baseball. Anyone can (and has) played the game at the highest level. Phil Rizzuto, Willie Keeler and Rube Waddell are all Hall of Famers but would have been NOTHING in basketball or football...

Add to this the fact that football players wear helmets w/ face masks and they might as well not even be human. We can't recognize them the way we do with baseball players. How many retired football players that aren't commentators can you recognize if you saw them walking down the street? I love football as much as the next guy but at the end of the day, its a bunch of guys who run around trying to decapitate each other. A lineman gets hurt and a new one takes his place...no one even notices! There are exceptions like Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow and Mean Joe Green who are just magnetic and larger than life that the fans know and love. But they are the exception, not the rule.

That ability to connect with the players is why we are so passionate about the game of baseball, the records, the numbers and the Hall of Fame. That's why it matters so much to us and so many others...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.