View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Doug Chamberlain

It's been awhile ('95) but as a baseball fan, couldn't recommend the experience any higher...one of the best times in my life.
Gorgeous, small, rural town makes a great setting.
Small colleges rent dorm rooms, etc. pretty cheaply in the surrounding area during the summer months...we had a small apartment very cheaply for the 3 days, can't remember where, worth looking into.
Parking can be scarce and we lucked out there as well. Small, local shop nearby offered to hold the spot for 3 days if paid in advance, and reasonable (recommend that highly as well, if attainable).
Card shows going on as well as multiple autograph set ups going on up and down the street.
And just walking down the street, ya never know who you might run into...in our case, Warren Spahn, walking down the sidewalk shaking hands as he went ... made the comment to us ... "I feel like a damn politician"!
I'm sure it's changed a bit in 20 years but it's a small town surrounded by small towns so I'm sure you could do well within 20 miles, short trek in and back, as we did.
Gettin' vittles can be tough, eat breakfast before you go in, pack a snack or lunch, and plan dinner fixin's closer to your room and outside Cooperstown. Some good eats there but a bit of a crap shoot on availability.
Like I said and I'm sure things have changed, but, hopefully this will give you some idea.
I was very surprised how non-commercialized our experience was...a time I will never forget.
HAVE FUN!!!