View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=Augy44;1221014]Hello all,

I was looking for some advice and examples of what managers used to use for Line-Up cards back in the 1920's-1930's time period. I have searched eBay and general internet scanning for examples, but all I could seem to find are very simple cards titled "Batting Order" cards. I don't mean scorecards that the fans would use to score a game, but rather an example of what a manager or coach would use to post their line-ups in the dugout or exchange with opposing coaches & umpires. Did all teams use the same format of line-up cards back during that time period or were there variations for different teams and/or events (World Series)? I know that line-up cards these days are very organized and elaborate and don't expect the vintage cards to be all that special, but just was curious to see what anybody may have or seen. Any and all examples would be great and Happy Holidays to all! Thanks for the help.

Bryan,
What you are asking for is a dugout lineup card. I do not have anything as early as you are requesting in my collection, but I can guarantee that they would appear to be very spartan in comparison to today's dugout lineup cards as you mentioned. These feature the lineups of both home and away teams as well as certain key reserve players that may enter the game at some point.

Here is an California Angels dugout card featuring Nolan Ryan pitching, circa 1974, that I picked up in 2013, just for comparison purposes. Note that the dugout cards were taped up to the dugout wall by the manager using first aid tape, something that is readily available in a major league clubhouse with trainers and all.

It's also important to note that dugout cards are not always filled out by the manager. Sometimes different coaches may be tasked with this responsibility. I've heard this directly from batboy's and team insiders that I know throughout the years.

Batting order lineup cards, or umpire lineup cards, are smaller than dugout lineup cards, and are the ones exchanged by managers and given to umpires at home plate prior to the actual game.

I'm curious to see what others post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan Angels 1974 dugout card.jpg (78.8 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-28-2013 at 06:27 AM.