View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Robert- All the best to you, your family and your daughter Ruthie. My wife also has Type 1 diabetes and had a rare adult diagnosis at about 29/30 (Jay Cutler was also diagnosed as an adult). She is about 5 years in now, and though I can't say her life is completely normal... can't be completely normal when she has to monitor/count virtually every carb she eats going forward and has to battle low blood sugars as well as the high... over time it has become her new normal. I trust this will be the same for Ruthie.

Other things that have been amazing in our experience over the past few years have been the advent of devices such as the CGM (continuous glucose monitor.. which means you don't have to prick yourself several times a day anymore) and the pump, which regulates the amount of insulin per injection. I'd expect these would be offered as options. As you go forward, feel free to contact us (my wife offered her email address if you have questions) anytime. I'm sure there will be a learning curve and adjustment period, even for others in your life as type 1, though different than the much more commont Type 2, is often misunderstood and mistaken for type 2.. but as already said, it will become a new normal.. and like with a Jay Cutler, or my wife, you still do the things you did before.

Best,
Ian

Last edited by itjclarke; 11-27-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: wording