View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Robert,

My prayers and good wishes go out to Ruthie, you, and your family. Diabetes can be tough on kids, but the good news is that there are much better ways to manage it and cope with the disease today.

My "better half" has diabetes. My ex had diabetes since she was 2, became and RN, and went on to become a diabetes educator for children who traveled throughout the US and Europe, providing educational programs for children. While she was the expert, I've definitely had experience in spotting the signs of low blood sugar. And while there are classic symptoms, each person shows the signs or reacts a little different. My ex's blood sugar would drop below 70 and she was really out of it. My current's can drop below what the meter will read (25) and still be walking around. Also some people have more problems with going too high while others have more problems with dropping too low.

What I'm trying to get at is that while this can be scary (especially at first), you will begin to recognize your daughter's "patterns", and over time be able to use that to help her manage and address swings in here blood glucose levels.

I any case, I wish you all the best and for a strong "Team Ruthie"!