View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Nope. I unloaded a lot of the high priced high grade postwar stuff so I could collect g-vg and have a shot at having many of the cards I coveted as a kid. I got the idea when I bought a couple of 1950s-1960s collections that were lower grade and found that I enjoyed the cards even more raw in albums than in the fancy plastic tombs.

I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea but it works for me. I think maybe because when I was a kid the cards from the 1950s and 1960s I saw were usually a bit dog-eared and well-loved, so I am nostalgic for that. This is the first "Silver Age" Topps card I ever got, so you see what I mean:

Adam, I think all your cards are beauties! I believe cards are best in their "natural" or "raw" state and if I don't have a near mint gem of a particular card, it does not break my heart.

I have a rather small collection as compared to most people here. But, I treasure all of the cards regardless of price. When I think of valuable, I think how valuable they are to me in terms of collecting and the memories they bring to me. So, if it is looked at that way, one of my most "valuable" cards is the 1975 Topps Dick Allen for the ChiSox. He was my favorite player at the time as a young boy. Another "valuable" one is Stan Musial's 1958 Topps All - Star card. I first saw it on the tv show Hart to Hart and knew I wanted to collect all those all star cards from 1958 and I did.

Fortunately, most if not all of my card collecting interests are not expensive. I am not a Mantle collector or pre war.

Please don't take me wrong, I am not knocking the original premise of this thread. There are some great cards here and you all should be very proud of them.