View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Not out of nowhere. As a person who was collecting before grading and who has handled thousands of T206s in finds and bulk buys like Adam. I can tell you at one time you could lay 100 T206s on a table or stack them and look at them from the side very few were of the exact same size. In fact it wasn't rare or odd to see so many with huge oversized borders top and bottom.

The old timers used to trim down the oversized cards to fit in binder pages and later the oversized cards got whacked down for Copelands and grading games.

That's why today huge big oversized T206s are like the "white" rhino almost all gone and when you see one a huge deal is made out of it calling out its oversized because it seems odd to the newer collector or to let the new buyer know "hey you could trim this one down" wink...wink....

Cheers,

John
That's pretty much how I recall it. Large cards seemed more common. But there were a lot of undersize ones too.
Looking at my own cards most of which I got pre-grading there's the whole range. I guess it can depend on where you draw the line for high grade too. The best I've gotten is an 84, With a couple cards having nice corners but tiny flaws keeping them in lower grades. (The bulk of my collection is only G, no need to grade most of those. )
In a way I'm glad I didn't try to chase perfect cards. I've got less to worry about as far as trimming.

Steve B