View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashousegang_1 View Post
Wow, you were in from 99 to 07 and all sea duty? Is it because Submariners are needed so badly in the fleet? I'm not familiar with the Sea/Shore Duty rotation anymore. Happy Vets day to you and all other active/former service members today. I was on the USS George Washington from 98 to 02.
My first sub was a missile boat and I wanted to see how life was on a fast attack so I went to sea again.

After the fast attack I wanted to be stationed overseas. The only billet for my rate was on the sub tender over in Italy. I told my detailer that I wanted to go to sea again and he told me that my rate was undermanned on shore duty so I couldn't do it.

I told him that I would extend indefinitely on the Philly until he was replaced. After I talked to my COB about it he went to the CO and between the 2 of them they went over the detailers head and got me the billet in Italy.

At the time the Navy was doing a lot of IA (individual augmentee) stuff. Basically taking guys off shore duty billets and sending them over to the sandbox to do crap jobs. Plus I was making too much money from my sea pay and sub pay to give that up.