View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Todd Schultz

Default from the hip.

I'll take a shot.

The Baseball Club from Manati is rubbing it in to the BBC Pro Padre, having defeated them and letting everyone know that they should RIP. The grave-diggers include the two star players from Manati who are depicted and the other seven starters listed next to them. The nine rosary beads represent the opponent players who were defeated. The cat hovering over the mouse refers to the winning team prevailing over its prey, a “rat”–maybe the Manati team was called the tigres or something similar. The entrance to the field is noted as the entrance to the “cemetery”, and the place in left field where a cross is drawn shows where the losing team “fell”. The lower pictures refer to the funeral march for the deceased and the “______” of the deceased, probably something pertaining to stadium or grandstand or gallery, etc. The small photo of “El Baustimo en el jobo” has got me beat. Jobo can mean cedar tree and it can mean spirits. I can’t tell what that photo is supposed to depict, or what water has to do with anything. Maybe it is meant to signify the spirit of someone or something known as El Baustimo?

Edited to add: Baustimo is likely misspelled for bautismo, which means baptism, which would explain the water, although I'm still not sure how that fits the theme exactly.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.