Thread: ...
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 01:51 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Find an local artist art school that makes prints. They could do it for you. They will have one man printing presses to do it. I've taken printmaking classes at the local art institute and used the art presses.

If you wanted, you could practice and try it on your own at home. Get some printers ink. You won't ruin the plate if you clean it right afterwards. After all, it's made out of metal. The key is to not use oil paint or acrylic paint or such as that will dry fast and gunk it up. Printing ink is designed for a plate like that, and can easily be cleaned up. Printing ink for a regular dime store rubber stamp likely will work fine. You can try using the plate like a rubber stamp. See what technique works and what doesn't.

Whether you're Picasso or making a newspaper picture, making the printing plate itself is the hard part. Making a print from the plate is the easier part (I said easier, not easy). The plate itself most probably can't be duplicated, even by an advanced artist and an art college. In part, because it was made with decades old, obsolete technology. It's a sheet of solid copper with a detailed image embossed it it. Something a scammer can't do on his computer printer. Plus, copper is expensive these days.

However, about 25 times easier and less time consuming would be to make a quality computer scan, reverse the negative image, do some photo shop and make a digital print.

I do think having a quality modern print (even digital) from the plate would increase the revalue of the plate itself. Makes it an overall attractive and interesting display piece. Collectors do that with their old photo negatives.

Last edited by drcy; 10-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.