View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Larry

Lawyer--civil and criminal trial and appellate practice, state and federal. Unfortunately, the prevailing politics have largely ruined a large portion of the practice in recent years. With a firm for 17 years, and on my own for going on 17. It is hell dealing with lay clients in Michigan these days (about half my practice; the other half of my clients are trial lawyers) with regard to criminal appeals and petitions for habeas corpus in federal court. All you hear in this state these days is "Well, ma and the 17,000 brothers, cousins and uncles only have 78 cents between them." With just a few exceptions, they want you to put in 50-100 hours worth of work to do a thorough, complete job of the highest quality [absolutely the only kind of work I do--I wouldn't even begin to know how to do anything "quick and dirty"] for next to nothing. Very frustrating lately, especially with the wife having lost a job as president/CEO of an optical company paying $150,000 three and a half years ago.

Thanks for letting me vent a little frustration--I intend to refocus my practice a bit to get into an area where I won't have to butt my head up against the stone wall of politics in the near future!

Very interesting thread--nice to hear about all of the diversity in occupations abounding in the hobby.

Best to all,

Larry