View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
It just switched from average joe who collected players and sets, to the people with money, they said that in the documentary. The rea buyers are the guys with the cash because the rare, high condition cards are in the big auctions. They went over that. the average guy collecting and kids collecting CURRENT cards from 50 cents packs and putting together sets is dead. They are looking for chase cards and THROWING away the rest of the cards. that's true.
Yes, guys with cash are mentioned. In the same light (IMO) as eBay is mentioned...as a negative, instead of a positive. It is the slant everyone seems to want to convey.

No sign of an interview with a eBay dealer, who could attest that eBay has revolutionized the way cards are sold...how a kid in a tiny town now can get any card on earth delivered to his door...how all collectors can now assemble collections they never could through local shows/dealers...how the price gouging decreased by a huge degree...how fallacies of "scarcity/rarity" were very quickly destroyed once the marketplace became truly national and even international.

No interview with a collector - even a kid - to say how modern collecting has evolved through using the internet.

Anyways, it seems nobody is interesting in anything but the party line the lazy "media" has taken with this hobby.

One other note - the "positive" part of this documentary was how store owners are trying to connect with kids. I liked the cub scouts thing, but I have my own reservations about how certain card stores are essentially getting kids excited about what I view as gambling, rather than collecting.

Cheers,
Blair