View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I disagree. One, let's be honest, very few people on this Board, much less anywhere, have the sort of material Bruce was looking for. Second, if your objective is to maximize your odds of finding what you want, alienating people and getting repeatedly tossed is not a rational way to accomplish that goal. We may never know what motivated Bruce to convey the internet persona that he did -- apparently in contrast to his much more likeable in person side. But I doubt it was rationally calculated to further his collecting goals.
I agree with Peter. Collecting is in good part a networking activity; you are only as good as your network of contacts and friends when it comes to tracking down items outside public sales. I had some items that matched some of the call-outs on the group's want list but 'they' were the last persons I'd ever have offered them to. I don't believe it is ever good marketing to associate your name with bad behavior. OJ Simpson got lots of publicity; I don't think it was to his benefit. Mussolini was world famous for all the wrong reasons. Now, am I saying the Brucii were equivalent to a murderer or a dictator? Obviously not. But to a large segment of the card collecting populace he was "that dick on N54 who refers to himself as 'we' and sends nasty emails to people." Not the epitaph I'd choose. A former boss/mentor once told me that it doesn't cost any more to be nice to people than to be a jerk.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.