View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Craig M

Default College Baseball Is Closing In Fast On You

Hey Wazoo...nice read.

My son plays in Southern California at Cal State University Dominguez Hills.

Your upcoming Junior year is HUGE and you must put up the numbers to get looked at. The summer between my sons Junior and Senior year was spent mostly on the road getting looked at by college coaches. He knew that he wanted to play ball every day in the sunshine so we targeted So Cal.

We drove all night to get to Morgan Hill, CA so he could play in front of fifty college coaches. We got to the hotel at about 3pm so he could get a good nights rest. We checked into the hotel and he turned the tv on to check some MLB scores and discovered the SF Giants had a home game and Timmy was on the bump. So you guessed it, we drove into SF to go see the game (No tickets in hand).

Pulled up as the game was starting and a scalper approached us. He wanted $200 for seats behind home plate 10 rows up. I opened my wallet and only had $80. He said (not enough), so we started walking. Got twentyfive feet away and he came after us and said "take them for $80". Got into the stadium and found our seats and it was a sweet view all night long. Went to the ATM inside and spent $100 on food and beer all night.

Two weeks later, we did another road trip to Fresno so he could play in front of another fifty college coaches. He had a great weekend; went 5 for 8 with tons of action at SS errorless. Sunday afternoon came and coaches wanted to talk to him. Cal State Dominguez Hills told him he wanted him and would pay for a trip down to LA to visit the campus.

Long story short, he signed on November 1st, before his senior year of high school. He had no stress his senior year of baseball because he knew where he was going.

I don't know if you will take it to the next level but if you need some college coaches contact info; I know a handful personally and can put you in touch with a few at the next level.

Good Luck,

Craig M

Last edited by Craig M; 07-27-2013 at 04:19 PM.