View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyerz_Paradise View Post
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=846031

This shows the flips throughout the ages.

This was cut in early 2000s according to seller, an practicing attorney in California. Flip style 3. Cert Matches. No frosting. I looked into all this before I purchased the card.

He emailed me with his law firm in the signature of his correspondence.

I mean don't get me wrong I could have been cleverly scammed. but I did my home work. This cert is not for sale anywhere else nor was ever sold from what I can find
Another difference between flips 2 & 3, that I noticed after doing some research today is, that aside from the hologram changing from "PSA" to "Collectors Universe" from flips 2 to 3, the embossed PSA (which appears on the bottom right of the front of the case on both flips) can also be found on the back of flip 3 (same position) but is not found on the back of flip 2 (at least not for 1951 Bowman's and presumably other non-standard sized cards). This is not mentioned in the forum linked above and has been driving me crazy because my 1951 Willie Mays with flip 2 does not include the embossment but apparently flip 3's do. I've included exemplars of flips 2 (the Mantle and Ford) and a flip 3 (Mays) which includes the embossed "PSA" on the back if you look very closely.

Edit: This at the very least seems to be the case for the 1951 Bowmans and presumably other non-standard sized cards, which may explain why some flip 2's have the embossed "PSA" on the back bottom right corner (see link above in quotes for examples) while others (non-standard size) don't. I will add a scan of my card in the post to follow as I cannot do it when editing an existing post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951FordFlip2back.jpg (77.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 1951MantleFlip2back.jpg (77.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 1951maysflip3.jpg (71.5 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-16-2013 at 02:40 PM.