View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Removing laminate from baseball cards

A good friend of mine found a bunch of old Morrell Meats cards he got decades ago that were buried in his garage. He knew I collected Dodgers and invited me over to show me - long story short they came home with me.

Unfortunately, the nicest four cards in the lot all had laminate on them. Go figure, right? He mentioned that he got them that way so they've been laminated for a while. I researched how I might remove the laminate and there was no clear answer. Some people were saying it was easy, others were saying leave it alone don't mess with them, they're stuck. Personally, I think the cards are cool even with the laminate but if I had a choice I would prefer them without. I know there's different types of laminate, this particular kind is not the kind that wraps around the card and adheres around the edges. These sonofaguns have the one-sided laminate that appears to have adhesive on the front of the card. I took the least expensive of the four (Furillo) and carefully pulled back one of the corners using needle nose pliers and it started out good but slowly started to remove some of the image as I moved closer to the center. Needless to say, I stopped. I would rather have laminated cards than destroyed cards. Someone on another board said I should try putting a pillow case over the card and use an iron to heat up and soften the adhesive. Before I do that I thought I would seek your guys' thoughts, thanks.

Last edited by 4reals; 07-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.