View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 04:50 PM
George

Hi All,
I went to the frame shop today and brought the Harper's resin etch (or whatever it is) with me. We removed the actual etch from the frame and below are the results. It was cut to the shape of the frame and measures ~8"x10." It has a somewhat sweet smell to it which I don't know how to explain but it was certainly there. The piece itself felt like plastic and the framer told me he recognized it as an older form of plastic called bakelite. There were no markings on the backside and it did look like it had some age to it although to my untrained eye I'm not sure how old it is. The framer said that this approach was popular in the 1930's.

Now I just noticed something very interesting on the etch that would not have been obvious in the frame. On the bottom left there is some sort of signature "FER" followed by "1889" then "WP Snyder." In the original woodcut below you will see that only "WP Snyder" is visible but that could be caused by the limitations on dimension of the woodblock as applied to the paper to create the woodcut.

http://www.sportsartifacts.com/memharperscollege.JPG

To make things even more confusing, I noticed that in Kevin's woodcut that there is "1889" after "WP Snyder." I highly doubt that they would have printed two different variations of this woodcut but I guess it's possible.

I guess I'm even more baffled now as to the process and timeframe given above information but at least wanted to share the observations from this particular piece.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harpers1.jpg (30.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg harpers2.jpg (22.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg harpers3.jpg (27.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg harpers4.jpg (44.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg harpers6.jpg (29.1 KB, 81 views)