View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default personally

I'm a bit shocked. Cards are one thing - and autographs another. I understand that some things can get by a card grader or doccument examiner for a variety or reasons. I've owned 2 of these cabinets. If one is unable to determine a facsimile signature on a photograph - which might be the easiest medium upon which to opine - even for a novice - there's sumptin very wrong. I have P.T.'s autobiography with a pencil signature. Not sure if it's real. Don't believe anyone could rule it out - determining if it's right another story. A stamped or facsimile signature is quite another thing. In my mind - autograph authentication should be held to a very high standard - someone that would certify a facsimile signature on a photograph obviously doesn't have the requisite skills to perform such a service - if you can't master the simple stuff I certainly can't expect you will be able to give due diligence to an autograph one didn't see signed. I will admit to having Charles Hamilton look at my buffalo bill tobacco leather in the earlyish 1990's. It has what I now know to be a stamped W.F.Cody signature on it. I was a year or two into buying cards and ephemera. I was not then and am not now an authenticator or examiner and the auto was not the focus of the item for me. Mr. Hamilton explained the elements that distinguish a stamped/facsimile signature. It was pretty easy to see and understand why it was what it was. Hard to see how an actual authenticator could certify a facsimile - unless they are not competent, sloppy, or dishonest.