Thread: June Pick-ups
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Default Ford Frick folk art balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Another recent pick-up, more for what else is in the photo besides the subject. It shows Al Zarilla ca. 1953 showing off his "hobby of making lamps and ashtrays out of bats and baseballs." Anyone ever run across one of these? I thought the photo was just as interesting for the other pictured pieces of memorabilia pictured that are popular nowadays, and was delighted to spot what looks to be a George Burke standee of Zarilla in his mid-to-late-40's Browns uniform sitting on the table to his right, something I overlooked when I first spied the photo. Lots to see in this one
Cool Photo. I like the lamp with the Rittger statues mounted to the base. The photo reminds of me of a recent group of folk art baseball pieces I picked up - although not the same or as nice as the ones shown in your photo, figured worth showing. They are a group of folk art pieces all composed of Ford Frick team signed baseballs from circa 1948-49. A lot of the signatures are very faded, and some of the balls are tough to identify, but I liked the folk art look to them.