View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
The answer is so obvious. How can a poster named "the 'stache" choose anything other than the John Titus T206?
Eddie, looking at it on Ebay, that's actually a pretty nice card. It appears that the T205 is more plentiful, however, as there is only one graded and one ungraded T206 available for sale currently.

I will have to add that one to my collection, and soon. A nice example shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and I am looking for a broad variety of cards. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Of the cards you are considering, I'd not bother with the Matty dark cap. Personally I feel that the T206 "superprints" are way overpriced. There are tons and tons of them out there. Sure, some of them are popular - like the Matty dark cap and Cobb red, but considering the supply, they should be cheaper.

If you accept that the recent T206 back craze is a manifestation of T206 collectors looking for a way to inject scarcity considerations into collecting a set that really is not scarce at all, then buying a superprint is probably a big step in the wrong direction (at least from a future value perspective).

Cheers,
Blair
That's a great suggestion, Blair, and I do have to remember that while I am looking to buy for my own PC, and don't anticipate parting with them, it is still prudent to think of them as an investment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
You should buy a tougher more obscure type card of a player of your choice as there are tons of bargains out there these days...t216, t217, d303/304...or consider the t213 counterpart to t206.
Pete, Dan mentioned Eddie Collins earlier in this discussion, and after reading your post, I find I am really liking the T213 Eddie Collins Chicago "A on shirt". It's got incredible eye appeal (the deep red background is so striking compared to the subject). I admit that after seeing it, I want to learn more about Collins.

Though I would consider myself to have a fairly broad knowledge of baseball history, I am somewhat less-versed in the period from the late 1800's to about 1920. I just haven't read as much about it, but with my foray into tobacco cards, I see that changing. I'm already feeling the itch to break out Ken Burns' "Baseball" on Netflix once again. I think I'll watch that tonight after my shower

/tip of the cap to you, Pete.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.