View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
Yes I do but this was posted in the Pre-WWII forum.
So get a bit of a rip for offering a suggestion, but the OP get s a pass even though the problem sale was for a 50's football card?

Ok. I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
We have a catch-22 situation. The sellers won't make to move to Bidstart from eBay because there aren't enough potential buyers and there aren't enough potential buyers because there aren't any/enough sellers. Something's got to change but I don't see it happening any time soon. I know of no other on-line auction site that even begins to rival the evil FeeBay.

As I said, they've become the only show in town and can do pretty much whatever they want.
The catch 22 is there for sure. With a bit of effort bidstart could really put a dent in Ebay in collectibles categories. They started as Stampwants.com and had backing from some major dealers who were really unhappy with Ebay. At the time a lack of policing frauds was the biggest problem. One that sounds familiar. A lot of mid range dealers moved altogether, the bigger places eventually went to using both. They publicized it by giving out a very expensive stamp as a prize. (The upside down airplane, not a really nice one, but still an awesome prize)

I actually like their site a lot more than Ebays. Especially the feature where you mouse over the picture in the search results and it shows a picture that's a bit larger. When I'm looking for a particular variety I don't have to go to each item.

I'm surprized some dealers don't add it as a venue. With automated migration and management and lower fees it's not such a bad deal.

Steve B