View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Mike,

What is your opinion on this question. It involves the term used to describe a pennant. In your book you showed a pennant of the 1956 NL Champions Milwaukee Braves. You called the pennant a "fantasy." If someone today made a pennant of the Colt .45s that was the same as an original issued in 1962, I presume you would call it a "reproduction." But what if the pennant was not a reproduction of an older pennant, simply one that never previously existed at all. What would you call it? A "fake?" To make "fake" implies an intent to deceive. I would call such a pennant a "fantasy," meaning it never existed in the era depicted. As to what I would call the 1956 Braves pennant, I would probably call it something like "wishful thinking." I have seen a 1951 Dodger WS ticket referred to as a "fantasy" but such a label seems harsh to me. The event (the Dodgers being in the 1951 WS) was a fantasy, but the ticket is "real."

I have wrestled with this label issue in describing pins. In pennants, what is your definition of a "fantasy?"

Paul