Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Marty

Default Introduction

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been browsing postsfor a few months and joined a little over a month ago.

My Dad started collecting in the early fifties and got me started collecting cards when I was a kid and I collected 50s and early 60s mostly baseball stuff. I was fascinated back than by tobacco cards and he gave me a few of his T206s. As a kid they went along with a handful of other cards into my pockets. T206s and all. This is one he gave nearly fifty years ago.

I am the one that put all the creases in it and wore out the corners. Quite proud of that. Well, I stopped collecting when I was around twelve. My Dad collected until a year and a half ago, when he passed away. He left me quite a collection. I worked with a close friend of his to sell off his large baseball autograph collection. I ignored the rest of his stuff for a while until a few months back, when I pulled my own cards out along with his collection. Boy, the draw is strong.

As a kid, I would buy or trade with friends or through the mail. I would get mimeographed sales lists in the mail back than with a SASE. I feel like Rip Van Winkle waking from almost a five decade sleep. I am an IT guy, but am amazed at your community here. What a wealth of info. Wow, where did auction houses and grading companies come from. Boy, Do I have a lot to learn.

Well, I recently fell off the wagon and bought my first card in probably fifty years. Here it is.

Thanks for your time.

Marty