Thread: June Pick-ups
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Scott,

Beautiful find! This is another passion of mine, although I do not get to "hunt" as much as I used too... I used to be a Land Surveyor, but for me it was like getting paid to arrowhead hunt! So you can imagine I have quite a few. I really like the small bird points - the smaller the better - They are just so much harder to find. Its really sweet when the points are laying on top of the ground just screaming "pick me up!"

I've recently started taking my son (he is starting to figure out what exactly were looking for) and its been kinda dry... Well this past Monday I came home from work and my wife said "you better go see what your son has found" - so he comes running up and said "I found an arrowhead, a big one!" - Well lets see it? I followed him to the car and he searched & searched & I searched & searched to no avail... He was so disappointed, wife said it was a really nice one over two inches long and must have dropped it at one of the parking lots they were at during the day. Needless to say, he is now hooked - so perhaps it was not a bad thing he lost it

Would love to see a picture of the Spear Point you found...
Shawn, that's too bad your son lost his arrowhead, but now you can design a trip to a site where he's very likely to find one - perhaps it will be a more special find if you do it together.

Almost every piece I find is very special - the moment of discovery is always great - but the spearpoint (or knife blade) was cool because it was the first complete blade with really good detail. I was about halfway through a miserable desert run and was a bit dehydrated, so finding this piece made the rest of it almost pleasant. I wish I had my camera so that I could have gotten a shot of it in the dirt. The trip the next day was specifically to look for arrowheads, so we were ready - other than the small black one and a rough scraper, we only found pieces. The blade is in the center of the pic. The one to the left of it is also very cool - worked all the way around and it's been heated on the back (same design as piece at center bottom). The quartz tool is also one of my favorites - there is a lot of quartz in the area, but it must be hard to work - very few tools. I found all of these in wash areas over the last 4 weeks.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.