View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Very cool, thanks -- also interesting to see that green dot you mentioned on the WaJos. We should've probably started a new thread so this one doesn't keep getting interrupted but I'll leave one last comment here, similar to what I just sent Peter in a PM...

I did check the images of the other cards, and none of them have bleeding into the border. You will note that none of them have any staining whatsoever. This can hardly be a coincidence. My guess is that someone associated with the factory which printed these cards was able to sneak some out the back door before they were shipped off to CJ to be inserted into boxes (something similar to what occurred with the Black Swamp find). In other words, the cards are uncirculated.

Obviously I am biased because I own one of the cards, but I don't think we should automatically assume something nefarious is going on (ie. the cards are counterfeit). It would be incredibly difficult to fake 1914 CJs, especially with the paper they used. It also seems that IF someone was trying to hide something shady, they wouldn't submit all the Cobbs at once, which would surely raise eyebrows at SGC and put the cards under more scrutiny.

Regardless, it's an interesting card!

We now resume to your regularly scheduled thread about interesting cards....
E145s were also issued as complete sets directly from CJ, according to the back of this advertising poster:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/1.html

I also remember an auction of one of these sets a few years ago, almost all of the cards were in extremely high grade, many the highest graded examples.