Thread: Ty Cobb
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Al Stump was the biggest liar and thief to ever come down the pike. He waited until Cobb was dead and then made a cottage industry out of writing sensational books and selling stolen and forged Cobb items. He lived off his so called closeness to Cobb for 30+ years. Cobb was no doubt an unpleasant man at times, a poor parent, a racist at least in his younger days, but also a brilliant and philanthropic man. No way was he the psychotic nut Stump depicted. The movie "Cobb" is entertaining, but based totally on Stump's lies.
Totally agree with you here Ken. He had a brilliant business mind, and helped out alot of his close friends who were financially in trouble, and I do agree about Al Stump. There was an earlier post questioning his racism, and that I dont understand. Cobb was known to express opinions at times pertaining this issue. I do think it was somewhat blown out of proportion in the movie. All of that said, he is still my all time favorite. Some people also seem to forget that in the initial 1936 Hall of Fame induction, he had a higher percentage of votes than Ruth, Wagner, Mathewson, and Johnson! Pretty rermarkable....