View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Clint

Just as with cards or anything else yes jerseys can be faked. Most of the problem jerseys out there can be spotted with research and knowing what you are buying. I've been collecting Orioles knit jerseys for 10+ years now and I'm still learning although the curve is getting much smaller. Just like everything else the more valuable the item the more careful you have to be. You need to learn styles, manufacturers, tagging, and sizes for starters.

For example: If you wanted a 1975, home, Brooks Robinson jersey there would be a few things to look for. First it needs to be white of course to be a home jersey. Next it would have to be made by Rawlings and have the correct Rawlings tag for that year. It needs to be a size 42 as that was the only size Brooks wore his entire career. It needs a year flag tag that has the set #, #8P, and the year 1975. The team name, player name and numbers must be made of the specified material and color in the proper location. The name on the back needs individual letters sewed on in the correct arch pattern for this maker instead of the nameplate that was used on later jerseys.

These are just a few examples when looking at the jersey. Next you must check to see if any of the aforementioned items have been added or restored to take the jersey back to it's original state or to deceive. Restorations of jerseys are ok as long as they are mentioned. These jerseys will sell less than all original.

This is just what you need for starters and you can get much deeper into it than that.

My recommendation would be to try and find someone that specializes in what you are after. Ask them questions and many will steer you in the right direction.

I will now post a Brooks Robinson jersey and see what you can tell me about it with the information I just posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brobby.jpg (38.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg brobby1.jpg (39.9 KB, 175 views)