View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Has anybody done this to guard against buying forgeries?

As I begin to buy pre-war and vintage baseball cards, I'm still concerned going forward about the possibility that the cards I buy could be fakes. We know that PSA and SGC slabs can be cracked, and I've even seen discussions about PSA slabs being duplicated by thiefs. With the advances in printer technology, it's easy for these criminals to take advantage of collectors who are new in these eras of cards. And until these TPGs make it so their slabs cannot be cracked, there always exists a possibility that we're being ripped off.

Now, I know I can ask for opinions from members here, and I will take full advantage of that. If I get a card, and have any concerns about it, I will scan it, and rely on the expertise on you fine folks. But I don't want to pester you guys every time I make a buy.

So, here's what I've been thinking about doing. If I'm looking to buy a Walter Johnson T206 portrait (purely as an example), would it not be prudent for me to buy a T206 common, and keep it in my collection? I mean some common that nobody in their right mind would consider forging. Something I could compare to which ever card I buy? Under magnification, I would think that a faked card would be easily discernible, no?

Do any of you guys do this? I'd think it would be worth it for me to get a common T206, as the paper, the inking technology would be uniform from one card to another, regardless of value.

If I want to buy a nice 1952 Topps, I could add a common to my collection, and use that as my control, so to speak.

Comments??

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.